Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Twins of Faith 2013

Bismillahirahmanirrahim..

We have bid 2013 goodbye and welcoming 2014. Usually I would have my year end reflection but I did that in my own personal time and place (because I am corny like that) and Alhamdulillah, 2013 has been the year of self discovery, in a good way.

"O Son of Adam, You are nothing but a number of days, whenever each day passes then a part of you has gone." - Credit to Sheikh Sajid Umar

Hence, I want to talk about an event that close my 2013 wonderfully:  Twins of Faith 2013 (TOF2013)

I wanted to go this event for quite sometimes, which is organized by Mercy Mission yearly since 2011 but never seems to have the opportunity to go. God willing, one of my friends sold the tickets so I decided to go.

I did not know what to expect but when you go or do anything without any expectation, you will be surprised. And I was indeed surprised by how awesome the event was! They had amazing speakers with great topics, workshops and even corners for children and women. The only thing that I had to criticize was the queue in the cafeteria and lack of lunch options. And maybe Malaysians toilet etiquette (well not all toilets, some of them, we really need to change our behavior people).

The theme for this year TOF 2013 was the sunnah the better (hashtag #thesunnahthebetter and #tof2013), which mainly revolved around why sunnah is very important and about the man who is the prime example of our Deen, our prophet Rasulullah SAW.

It's not lectures all day long though. They had halal entertainment, with the ever so funny Omar Regan, the talented (and my fave spoken word artist) Kamal Salleh , singers Mu'adz Dzulkefly, Fathi Omani and art by the graffiti artist, Aerosol Ali hence it was refreshing to be in Islamic convention that appeals to young audience (most attendees were youngsters).

Aerosol Ali "The Wall"

All the speakers were flown from around the countries, impressive scholars; Muadhin of Masjid An-Nabawi (Sheikh Ayyad Shukri), Imam in Jeddah (Sheikh Assim al-Hakeem), Imam Masjidil Al Aqsa (Shaykh Abu Bakr Gaith), Al-Kauthar Institute Instructors  (Sheikh Daood ButtSheikh Sajid UmarSheikh Alaa ElsayedSheikh Abdur-Raheem )McCarthy) and even the founder of Mercy Mission, Sheikh Dr Tawfique Chowdry. What an amazing man to organize such a convention that gathered great scholars to give us knowledge and keep on reminding us to live life according to Quran and Sunnah.


The Speakers :)

The talks were great reminders how beautiful Quran is, explanation for all the questions in life, and how Rasulullah SAW is the living Quran. It is true that people nowadays (me included) don't really value the importance of sunnah but they are indeed the ticket to Jannah. It's scary how little we do, yet we want to enter paradise. One of the reminders by Sheikh Alaa on his opening speech was we have all these certificates and achievements we hang on the wall, but the most important one we haven't seen yet: the Death certificate. A one way ticket to the unknown. As one of the Hadiths to remind us on this:



As we know, charity is mentioned a lot in Quran and Hadiths. One of the talks that I like was by Sheikh Sajid Umar on charity. He talked about all the benefits of doing charities (according to Hadiths and Quran), and he mentioned that wealth is not something obtained but ordained. All the wealth in this life mounted only to a portion of mosquitoes wings. Indeed, Allah is Owner of everything we own, and it's a test to see if we will help one another (we need the poor to get to Jannah). Something I indeed always believe in, but his talk strengthening the importance of charity. The fundraising that came afterward was amazing! So many generous people in Malaysia. Alhamdulillah, I think they managed to raise over one million Ringgit by just asking the audiences :). Faith in humanity: Restored.

All in all, it was a very great convention. I benefitted a lot from all the speakers, may Allah preserve them, bless them and their family. Amin. It's great seeing our ummah comes together, and instead of debating on our differences, we share the same love for Allah and his messenger Prophet Muhammad SAW. Islam is such a beautiful Deen, I am slowly learning to appreciate my religion more. May Allah makes me steadfast in keep on learning about Islam and practice them in real life.

The workshop I attended where Kamal Salleh talked about using your talent for Da'wah inspired me for this post. I may not be the world best writer but just trying to share the best way I know how: by writing :). I haven't written for a while but I believe this convention is worth sharing (and for me to remember); the foods for our lost souls.

The talented Kamal Salleh :)


Before I end my post, I would like to share the seven things that Inshaa'Allah will guarantee us paradise, notes by Sheikh Dr Tawfique Chowdry:

1. Putting a smile on someone's face - help ease the burden of fellow sister/brother who need help

2. Perform as many Hajj as you can to attain Mabrur
3. For sisters - Listen to your husband. If you die when your husband is pleased with you, you will go to paradise (and if the other way around to hell!)
4. Guard the tongue and chastity


5. Keep your intention sincere

6. Dhikr 


7. Iman in Allah & His Messenger SAW (In words and actions)



May Allah gives me (and others) a chance to attend again this awesome event, and at the meantime keep on striving to become a better muslim; starting by applying sunnah of Prophet Muhammad SAW from the time I start my day till the end. Amin :).


"When the tree bears fruit, the branch comes down” - Knowledge should humble you, like the tree branch