Friday, July 24, 2009

Passion.Engineering. It doesn't rhyme.

One question: what’s your passion in engineering?
Answer: Errrr…….(No freaking idea. Maybe the idea of engineering fascinates me, but I’m not exactly in love with it).

What would you answer be to a question like that? Especially it comes from your boss, which by the way, the passion lays in making his own robots, real techie at heart.

So I look up the possibilities of area in engineering I could be passionate (or maybe develop an interest) about:

1) Material – This is my major back at uni, it’s not bad, not that interesting either, especially when it comes to Metallurgy (the surface where you see lines and dots. Yeah, VERY fascinating).
2) Mega structures – I like watching Mega builders in Discovery Channel because of how they look like, not their truss, static, dynamic etc. But at least they have physical appearance I can say WOW to.
3) Ships / Vessel / Cruise. It fits my industry now. And I always like imagining myself on cruise, on the ocean which I love so much. But first, I need to see one real ship to differentiate its port and starboard side.

Perhaps, I want to be passionate about the money I could make out of engineering, and then I automatically develop a passion in that money-making area. The most sensible option I could opt to.

3 comments:

Merissa K. said...

this might not apply to everyone, tapi i think (i THINK la kan) utpians are mostly doing what they do out of the passion for money, not for the sake of engineering in its own form.

heehh. at least i knw thats how i feel la.

my point is, ur not alone. :)

aween mokhtar said...

hee..I br realize ur comment.
Thanks a lot yea!
Money is indeed motivation.
But they say, great minds think alike!
Ahah :p

zul said...

u rely to much on physical appearance than in depth understanding of engineering pricipals and its application to real life situation.