Thursday, April 9, 2009

Drama.Fiction.Facts.

Okay. So my job exposes me to facts that is always there but never bothered to Google or care about. I guess others won’t too unless it is portrayed in a way people want to watch it.

I’m going to talk about docu drama, documentary which is dramatized to make it appear more appealing to viewers. People like to see some unrealistic actions portrayed, that’s why people go and pay 8 to 10 bucks (even 40 bucks) for a good movie.

I have some pretty confusing time to absorb the theory of docu drama. Does it have to be like movie, with characters and story line, or is it still documentary with re enactment actions? I’m talking jargons here. Don’t blame me; they are all alien terms to me too. Moreover, I have to be an independent learner because the Others work in other dimension.

Wiki says, docudrama is
dramatization of actual historical events. As a neologism, the term is often confused with docufiction. See? I am confused.

Docudramas tend to demonstrate some or most of the following characteristics:

1) A focus on the facts of the event being treated, as they are known;
2) The use of literary and narrative techniques to flesh out or render story-like the bare facts of an event in history;

If it’s up to me, I would dramatize the whole thing. Add some fiction, but it would be a movie la then (or is it docufiction? Oh confusion). With turbulences (i.e actions) in big scale plus scripts like V for Vendetta. Gosh, that sounds dreamy. If only money is no objection, or somehow Steven Spielberg or Christopher Nolan (I love nearly ALL his movies) miraculously want to fund my idea.

Anyhow, being able to watch you tube for work is FUN. But, I’m getting skeptical by my logical thinking…*Sigh*

The public has an appetite for anything about imagination - anything that is as far away from reality as is creatively possible.

Steven Spielberg

4 comments:

RS. said...

hey what project / work are you working on now.. ive been reading ur last few entries.. and it's kinda about a production (??)

it seems interesting dowh ;)

share! share! x)

aween mokhtar said...

ahah.
will tell you if it goes through..
yep, documentary production...gle lari engine kan..just want to try something new until i figure out what to do w my life:p
Stay tune!:D

Mohd Najmie said...

go watch a lot of documentaries, like 'fahrenheit 911', 'sicko', 'an inconvenient truth' (those are the only ones i know, hahah, but try to widen your perspective, watch lots of directors' styles, the first two i gave are from the same director, so maybe not much different)
by dramatizing i think you can exaggerate truth, not 'fictionizing' it
mcm anak diorang mati gi iraq, dia gi umah parents askar tu, interview, pastu parents tu nangis2, so it touches people's hearts
it is not bending the truth, but dramatizing it to give the most extreme effect to the audience
fuh

aween mokhtar said...

oh najmi, ape ym ko?

I can definitely consult you to get more ideas. Thanks a lot.
I am doing it now, you-tubing is my job. Are there any other websites to download documentaries?(IT illiterate.LOL).

I am beginning to appreciate the documentary makers all around the world. Ideas can be searched, but the execution of the ideas..oh so pening. Haha.