Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ceritera episod 2~

‘To the world, you may be a person, but to a person, you may be the world.’ Ah. Corny. Phony. That was my thought when I saw a piece of paper with scrawny hand writing on my office desk. I’ve been receiving unbelievable corny notes these past few days. It’s a love quote every time. Let me recalled back:

Monday = We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh.
Tuesday =
We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
Wednesday =
Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illumines it.
Thursday = You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back

And today, Friday it’s this. I never know I can have a serial secret admirer like this. Not to say I’m not attractive enough, I like myself, but I’m very sceptical, and I’ll make sure everyone knows it. By I mean everyone, my colleague reads weekly column on relationship and love issue in the company’s weekly newsletter (Tittle: LOVE is just a word. And word can be ERASED). Dang. I’m sure this is one of the attempts to see if I’m really as heartless as I’ve seem to be. Putting the notes aside, I noticed there was something else written on the other page of the paper. ‘PS: You’ll soon know what it’s like to fall in LOVE.’ Haha. This person is being cynical. Laughing to myself, I check my e-mails and diaries for meeting updates. As a corporate communicator for my company, my jobs revolve around meetings, and more meetings. That sounds cool, but it’s tiring when you have to deal with the top management people who think they own the world. And with the press when disaster happens. Thank god I don’t have to deal with that just yet. Anyway, being a corporate communicator means you have to be a very good speaker. I used to be a timid kid but it all changed when I joined debate club. Call me a nerd or geek, but I’ve learnt to be more confident and more intellectual and that made me feel good. Thus, my job makes me feel good. Anyway, I met all kinds of people, especially men, and I know how they love the chasing games with women they like, and once they got them, the thrill was gone. And most of them love to repeat the cycle. Maybe that’s why I am so defensive about my principle when it comes to relationship. Because I’ve known and seen too much. My girlfriends love to set me up with guys who they think got what it takes to make me go head over heels. But, attractive to them was conceited to me. Good looking guys are arrogant, nerds and geeks are too dull, and everything in between them, well, just say they only set me up with the two groups. Because they think I’m out of league for ordinary men. And honestly, I agree though. I think I am intimidating to guys because I am very critical and judgemental. I never even like any guy. Except for my brother. Don’t let me start on talking about the dates he set me up with. Darn. I am difficult perhaps.




Anna! Let’s go out tonight. We’ve asked the new cute guy to join us!” Shouted Lucy from across the office, one of my good friends. “What new cute guy???” She walked to my cubicle and put her coffee on my table. “Are you too ignorant? He’s been here for two weeks already. There he is.” Walking to the back of the office, tall, with broad shoulder, brown hair and eyes, and the teasing smile to Reen, the intern, I quickly make up a first impression: Good looking guys. You know which category he’ll fall in. “Adam! Come here. This is Anna, our rise and shining star of corporate communication. And she’s still single!” Lucy loves introducing me with the same sentences every time. Especially the ‘still single’ part. He diverted his walk towards my cubicle and as he draws closer, I can smell the Bvlgary perfume lingering and those smiles grow bigger it is annoying. Faking a smile, I draw out my hands and shake his. “Firm and grip. Total confident,” I made a mental note. “So you are the famous Anna? I keep hearing your name around. They sure miss you when you are not around.” Making a straight eye contact with me, this guy definitely is a flirt. “Oh, I know. Especially when a new guy comes. They will talk about me endlessly. Just don’t get annoyed ok.” Lucy winks at me as she stands behind him and give a thumb up sign. “Okay, I have a meeting in 10 minutes. I guess I’ll see you around Adam. And I’ll see you tonight Luce.” Taking my file and my briefcase, I smile at him again and walk towards the elevator. As I am about to enter the elevator, he shouted, “And I’ve read your column Anna, and I beg to differ! Love is not a word. It’s an expression of feeling. Feeling indescribable by word!” Winking before the door closes, his final words makes me think. And it will keep me thinking until I find a good argument to write my next article.

Another episode of my so-called fictional story. Walaupun banyak lagi kerja dan pembelajaran menanti. Dang.

3 comments:

LazyS said...

keke nice writing la!

people usually write stories about something in their unconcious mind.
so.. love eh?
:-P

aween mokhtar said...

ahah. TQ! piney, i am too lazy in my final semester I decided to write a MAYBE love story. or it can be a thriller perhaps? depends on my mood:p

btw. Maybe some of the things written do come from personal experiences:p

nadeetos said...

tlg la kill someone in ur ceritera ni.. grrrrr.. kekeke